Dr. Yulia Yurtaeva-Martens joined the Leibniz Institute for Media Research | Hans Bredow Institute (HBI) in May 2022 as a researcher in the Research Program 3 "Knowledge for the Media Society"
in the project "The Value of News: The History of the German Press Agency (dpa)"
After studying history, film and media studies in Berlin and Potsdam, she worked as a researcher at the Babelsberg Konrad Wolf Film University in Potsdam in the Media Studies program from 2009 to 2022, where she is still employed as a lecturer. As a research and transfer academic officer, she took over the coordination of the Graduate Academy at the Film University in 2022.
Her research focuses on European media history, especially the history of media organizations and events, from a transnational perspective. Other research interests include popular (television) entertainment, health and disease communication, and qualitative methods of media research.
Yulia Yurtaeva-Martens received her PhD at the Film University of Potsdam on television program exchanges in Eastern Europe during the Cold War in the period 1960-1993.
She is a member of the following institutions:
- CTMR (The Centre for Transnational Media Research, Denmark).
- DGPuK (The German Communication Association)
- GfM (The German Society for Media Studies)
- IAMHIST (The International Association for Media and History)
- RuG (The German broadcasting History Society)
- ZeM (The Brandenburg Center for Media Studies)
A selection of her publications can be found here