The institute will provide scientific support for the media conference in the context of Germany's 2020 EU Council Presidency and is analysing in advance the requirements of a modern European information order.
In the context of the Germany’s EU Council Presidency in the second half of 2020, the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM) is planning an international media policy conference.
Against the backdrop of digitisation, globalisation and convergence, the conference will focus on the key questions of whether there is a need for further regulation of media platforms and, if so, how existing regulatory approaches can be further developed and better enforced or what new regulatory instruments might look like.
The HBI provides scientific support for the media conference and evaluates its results. Prior to the conference, the Institute prepares the basis for discussion in six sub-projects and optimises their outcome for media policy discussions. After the conference, the HBI will conduct an event evaluation in the form of a publication on sustainable political approaches in EU media governance.
In all project modules, innovative perspectives are to be taken into account through the systematic integration of young researchers. Moreover, transfer competencies are to be conveyed to these young researchers.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- To conduct a legal analysis of the EU regulatory framework, which systematically analyses and maps the current legal situation from a governance perspective.
- The elaboration of basic principles of European law as the foundation of a future EU media law system that also includes intermediaries/platforms.
- Conducting interviews with experts and specialists from various stakeholder groups in order to identify media policy agendas and priorities.
- To outline central political steps and legal design requirements on the way to a modernisation of the European regulatory framework for communication.
- The integration and promotion of young media researchers in the field of EU media policy.
- The scientific monitoring and sustainable documentation of the results of the BKM Media Conference 2020.Details will follow soon.